Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Report Builder 6i 'Loosing' frames
Report Builder 6i 'Loosing' frames [message #181566] Mon, 10 July 2006 09:59 Go to next message
annagel
I am working on a report that will be taking the place of one of those carbon copy type forms where you get 5 copies of the same form with the same info on it. Between these forms there are some minor differences in things that don't relate to the data at all.

So as an example copy a personnel auxiliary data entry area and copy b has a payroll auxiliary entry area. These contain no db data and so are simply display grids with lots of boxes and text labels in them. They are pain to make, but doable. To set which copy specific data would be displayed when I just made my select a union all putting in a hard coded value for each of the copies. Something like this (if you were to just ignore all the data itself):

SELECT 'COPY A - PERSONNEL' COPY
  FROM DUAL
UNION ALL
SELECT 'COPY B - ACCOUNTS & CONTROL' COPY
  FROM DUAL
UNION ALL
SELECT 'COPY C - EMPLOYEE' COPY
  FROM DUAL
UNION ALL
SELECT 'COPY D - DEPARTMENT' COPY
  FROM DUAL
UNION ALL
SELECT 'COPY E - INITIATING' COPY
  FROM DUAL

So I just have my format triggers look at this value and depending on the copy the display or don't display.

It gets a bit complicated because those two grids I was talking about actually sit right on top of each other so I have been unable to simply wrap a holding frame around each grid and put a format trigger on that. Instead I put a format trigger on each individual object and then order them in the document so that objects from copy a never contain objects from copy b.

All this is a pain to do but it works....that is it almost worked. I have run into problems because doing this Report Builder seems to be loosing my frames. In the layout view of my report I only see the frames that are a part of copy b. All the copy a frames are gone. They still show up in the object navigator, and they still show up on the resulting report, but they are gone from the Layout Model.

If I was done reordering things correctly this would make it look strange, but it would still be ok, but this is not the case I have a bunch of objects for copy a that are in a copy b frame and so they do not show up on the report, and now they also do not show up in the layout, so even though I can see them in the object navigator, I still can't reorder them as this function can only be done when the object is selected in the layout model.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? I have a save of the file from when I was building the two grids (I did this with them not on top of each other for obvious reasons), so i can go back to that and start rebuilding, but this does present problems. If someone needs those grids changed slightly in the future, it is impossible to do so with the 'lost' objects.

To demonstrate what I am saying the following images might help. These are screen shots of my Layout Model, Copy A, and Copy B. They all look at the same area on the report.

Layout:

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/images/layout_model.jpg

Copy A:

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/images/copya.jpg

Copy B:

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/images/copyb.jpg

Edit: This occurred to me after the post, there is a colored background in the report, this comes from a format trigger in the main repeating frame which contains the entire report. This is the deepest layer of the report and contains everything else, so the problem is not that the color of the objects is preventing me from seeing them.

Also upon first placing one grid over the other, I do see them. It is only after moving the objects up and down a bit, and running a couple of previews that I 'loose' these objects.

Thanks
Andrew

[Updated on: Mon, 10 July 2006 10:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Report Builder 6i 'Loosing' frames [message #181568 is a reply to message #181566] Mon, 10 July 2006 10:30 Go to previous message
annagel
Problem looks to be solved. I could have sworn I had already tried this...but I guess I would be swearing wrong...closing and opening report builder got me my lost frames back. Now I feel like an idiot!
Previous Topic: Oracle reports problem
Next Topic: Reports Parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 11:46:18 CDT 2024