Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » format trigger referencing non-group data
format trigger referencing non-group data [message #168312] Wed, 19 April 2006 14:07 Go to next message
annagel
To start off, I am using report builder 6i. The report I am building essentially shows a whole set of values before and after a certain date when presumably something had changed. The data comes from two large queries that pull data out based on two effective dates passed in, I end up with a set of old data and new data. I want to display all of the old data and display any new data that is different from the old.

The report is a single instance report so each time it is run it will be run for just one person and will produce just one instance of itself. I know I am going to have to use a format trigger and one that is nothing more than an equality test. The problem is getting access to the data from the other query because it resides in a different data group. I could always re-run the select for just the value I want from the old data, but this seems like a lot of work when I already have the data pulled up.

Any way short of re-running a query for every value that anyone can think of?

thanks,
Andrew
Re: format trigger referencing non-group data [message #168318 is a reply to message #168312] Wed, 19 April 2006 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is not really a Report Builder answer, and I'm not sure how will/would it impact performance, but you might try and see what happens if you have it all in one query:

SELECT old_data
UNION
(
SELECT new_data
MINUS
SELECT old_data
)
Re: format trigger referencing non-group data [message #168323 is a reply to message #168318] Wed, 19 April 2006 14:56 Go to previous message
annagel
I am dealing with only 1 row of data for each of the selects. Sorry I was not really clear at all on that point. So I am really comparing just two rows with all of my data in them and not displaying the 2nd row when the data is a repeat. Someone else in my office suggested using placeholder columns in the group were I need to make the comparison and then setting those columns to hold the data using a formula column in the original group. This work, but takes some time.
Previous Topic: Oracle Lite
Next Topic: Compatibility of Oracle Reports 10g with Oracle 8i database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 14:58:34 CDT 2024