Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » partitioned table not working as expected
partitioned table not working as expected [message #53558] Fri, 27 September 2002 05:58 Go to next message
Tracy
I had a query that was taking a long time to execute because of the large number of rows. After hash paritioning the table, the query execution time still did not improve.
However, when I specified the partition in the query, the time improved greatly. However, the application that will run this query will never know which partition in order to specify.

Any suggestions please on what I can do? I thought the query was supposed to automaticaly figure out which partition to scan so I don't have to specify.

thanks,
Tracy
Re: partitioned table not working as expected [message #53584 is a reply to message #53558] Mon, 30 September 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
I am pretty sure that you must be having indexes. My question is, is the index also partitioned ??

Yes this behaviour of the partitions is normal. The performance is GREATLY improved when the partition name is specified in the query.
Re: partitioned table not working as expected [message #53603 is a reply to message #53558] Tue, 01 October 2002 06:25 Go to previous message
Tracy
Yes, the indexes are paritioned as well.

Sometimes the query may need data from more than one partition. I know how to speciify in the query when I need data from one partition, however, I cannot seem to find correct code for a query that needs data from 2 paritions. I cannot find any examples - do you know the syntax for specifying more than one parition in a query (if in fact it can be done)?

thank you,
Tracy
Previous Topic: sga
Next Topic: Performance Issue - Statistics included
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:48:56 CDT 2024