Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Re: Oracle 7 to Oracle 8
Re: Oracle 7 to Oracle 8 [message #52847] Fri, 16 August 2002 07:13
Choudhry Farhan Ali
All around the internet almost everywhere in discussion groups, everyone told me, Oracle 7.3 and Oracle 8 cannot be run on Windows XP. Some people are running Oracle 8 but everyone recommends to move on to Oracle 9. I had to do it or incur or get overburdened with upgrading applications from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8 and eventually to Oracle 9. Not an easy task and not everyone wants to migrate and willing to pay the cost. To get some breathing space I tried installing Oracle 7.3 by running its intallation executable in compatible mode (To run older applications from Windows95/98/Me, you can right click on the executable, click on Properties and then in the Compatibility tab, enable Compatibility Mode and specify which OS under 'Run this program in compatibility mode for', this approach might work for your compiled application executables), it didn't work. Then I installed Windows 98 and then installed Oracle 7.3 on it with no drivers and specially no Symantec/Norton applications, Windows XP is very allergic to Symantec/Norton applications. Then I installed Windows XP Professional and chose to upgrade over Windows 98. Everything started working, Oracle 7.3 database, Developer 2000, I didn't even had to recompile the applications, it all worked just like it used to work on Windows 98. So, I program happily ever since :)
Previous Topic: ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 9 - see DBWR trace file
Next Topic: Find proc name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:24:30 CDT 2024