Home » Non-English Forums » Japanese » japanese character set insertion through sqlplus
japanese character set insertion through sqlplus [message #34304] Sat, 04 December 2004 03:15 Go to next message
Srinath
Hi, I have situation below that needs expert advice.

TASK: load into the table (called choicelistitem as seen below) with the
following languages: English, German, French, Italian, <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66">Japanese[/b],
Spanish, Korean, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Complex Chinese, Portuguese,
Hungarian, Polish, Greek, Russian, Swedish, Turkish & Czech.

PROBLEM STATEMENT: Loading languages with Western <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] are OK;
while Eastern <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] (<B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66">Japanese[/b], Chinese, etc.) aren't.

On the client side, I received a XLS spreadsheet from our user that
contains all the above languages and I _can_ see/read
both Western & Eastern <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] just fine. In other words, my client
was able to encode the <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] for display using Excel.

However, when I attempt to cut-and-paste Eastern <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] into the
Notepad <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff9999">editor[/b]/SQLPlus prompt/TOAD, it becomes "?????".
Althought, I can cut-and-paste/insert into table Western <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b]
just fine.

In summary, Eastern <B style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a0ffff">characters[/b] return ??? marks after supposedly
configured environment properly (see below for configuration setup's).
Did I missed a step or 2? Any help would be appreciated.

1. Configured the Oracle on WinNT 4 database server with "UTF8"
character set.

oracle version 9.2.0.1.0

please put your adices at the earliest.

thank u.

srinath
Re: japanese character set insertion through sqlplus [message #34331 is a reply to message #34304] Mon, 06 December 2004 08:52 Go to previous message
andrew again
You should be able to save the Japanese characters to a Notepad file.
Notepad > file > new > file > save-as. Select UTF8 as the encoding, give the empty file a name and save it.
Paste the Japanese (or whatever charaters into it and save again.

As far as I know, SQLPlus isn't Unicode compliant, so it wont be able to handle Japanese characters. As far as I know, iSqlplus (the web version) is Unicode compliant - try using it. I don't think TOAD is unicode compliant.

To insert all those different language characters into a database, I think UTF8 would be a good choice (the characterset you choose needs to be a superset of the characters you are trying to store).
select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS
where parameter like '%CHARACTERSET';

To expand the characters visible in sqlplus, try the following:
C:>chcp 1252
Active code page: 1252

C:>sqlplus user/pass@utf8_db

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Dec 7 10:00:21 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production

SQL> select sym, sym_name
2 from sym
3 where sym_name like 'Euro%';

PUB PUB_SYMBOL_NAME
--- --------------------------------------------------
€ Euro symbol U+20AC <<=== Correct display (default codepage 1252)
Previous Topic: Create database with Running custom script (Japanese problem)
Next Topic: 11i Japanese or Chinese on Linux OS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:52:17 CDT 2024